Bioglan is an Australian-owned natural health supplement brand, producing a range of dietary supplements and natural foods, including superfoods, probiotics, vitamins and minerals, protein powders/smoothies and omega-3 supplements. They have been around for over 40 years and consist of a team of naturopaths, pharmacists, dieticians and doctors to, as Bioglan states, “enhance the wellness of all”.
The sample I reviewed today was NOT provided by Bioglan. I purchased a box of these myself a while back. The packaging attracted me because of its pink colour, the berries on the front, and the big ‘wholefood’ on the front. It is packed full of good stuff, listing Chia, Acai, Spirulina, Beetroot, Wheatgrass and Probiotics on the front, as well as: ‘supercharged with superfoods, high protein and 24 vitamins and minerals. I felt I was lacking in protein, vitamins and minerals and this seemed just the thing for a pick-me-up.
I’ve tried this protein/smoothie powder both as directed on the packet, and in a smoothie of my own recipe. The photo’s in this article are of the smoothie I made, which has added ingredients such as yoghurt, avocado and berries. The directions on the satchet are ‘Add one satchet to 250ml of milk, soy or other type (or water) and stir or shake well. Drink immediately after preparation’. I do not like this with milk or water on its own. The taste is pleasant enough, until the after-taste hits you and it seems to cling to your mouth.
In a smoothie however, this powder is quite a yummy addition. Other ingredients like avocado and yoghurt mask the floury taste and the after-taste is minimal. You really must drink it straight away though, as it turns bitter very quickly when left sitting around, or even in the fridge. I wonder whether this is due to the ingredients being exposed to oxygen? Below is a photo of a bowl where the smoothie is nice and pink. In the featured photo with the muesli on top, you’ll see the pink colour fading already, and there were only minutes between the 2 photo’s.
My 4 year old girl loved eating her smoothie from a bowl (this is the one with additional ingredients); it was very thick so great for adding some muesli on top or eating with a spoon as she did.
Overall rating: 7/10
- Excellent nutrition with 8g of protein per serve / 40.1g per 100g
- Full of superfoods such as beetroot, berries, alfalfa, barley grass, chia, goji berry, spirulina and wheatgrass
- Low in sugar at 1.4g per serve / 6.9g per 100g
- Broad range of vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, B’s, C, D, E and K, and potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium and more.
- Includes probiotics Bifidobacterium lactis and Lactobacillus acidophilus.
- Cheap compared to other protein powder, especially considering the range of superfoods contained.
- Easy to dispense, being single-serve sachets.
- Disperses well, no lumps.
- They’re not wrong with their direction to ‘drink immediately after preparation. This drink goes yucky very quickly if you leave it sitting around!
- The ingredient ‘flavour’ – what kind/number flavour, what’s it made of?
- A floury taste which seems to cling to the inside of your mouth making it unpleasant, in my opinion, to drink on its own, regardless of wether its mixed with water or milk. It is better with milk, but rather icky to drink with water. Then again, I haven’t found a single protein powder to be nice with water. I’m very interested to hear your opinions on drinking any of them with water!
- This protein powder is not the friendliest on my tummy. Certainly not the worst, and maybe I was just having a bad day, as it does include probiotics, but this will be an occasional smoothie for me. I will do further research as to whether this is caused by it being based on soy flour and soy isolate, or whether it’s the multitude of superfoods.
- I re-use all the plastic containers other protein powders come in, so I miss my ‘recyclables’ with this packaging, being throw-away sachets and a thin cardboard box.
Buy it again?
No….. I won’t be.
Bioglan Berry Smoothie Ingredients:
Soy flour, Soy isolate, Polydextrose, inulin, xylitol, pea protein isolate, beetroot powder, berry fruit blend (raspberry, strawberry, elderberry, blackberry, strawberry, elderberry, blackberry, blueberry), flavour, minerals (magnesium oxide, zinc sulphate, ferrous sulphate, selenomethionine, manganese sulphate, copper sulphate, chromium chloride, sodium molybdate, potassium iodide), food acid (citric acid), acai berry extract, dextrose, sweetener (steviol glycosides), rice protein powder, alfalfa, barley grass powder, cabbage powder, chia seed, wolfberry (goji) extract, vitamins (C, E, B3, B5, B2, B6, B1, A, Folate, K, Biotin, D, B12), spirulina powder, wheatgrass powder, broccoli powder, bifidobacterium lactis, lactobacillus acidophilus.