I bought a bag of Isowhey Pea+Brown Rice Protein a while back. This is an organic protein (well, 97.6% of it anyway); gluten, dairy and soy free, made from sprouted bio-fermented golden pea and brown rice, as well as a range of other sprouted grains, seeds and legumes including millet, buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa and flax seed. That all sounds really good doesn’t it, but I didn’t like the way it mixed with liquid on its own.
It has that typical grittiness you get with most (if not all) non-whey based protein powders. The taste wasn’t bad, it’s vanilla & lucuma, but the texture…. Nonetheless, I’m not going to let it go to waste and found it mixes well with a range of smoothies, including the one below, my Pea+Brown Rice Veggie Smoothie.
Until writing this post I thought Lucuma tasted like coconut. It doesn’t. It’s described as having a maple-like taste, or caramel, or some even describe it as pumpkin-like, but not coconut. Why I thought Lucuma tasted like coconut? Because the packet I have is Isowhey’s Organic Lucuma, Chia and wildcrafted Coconut. Although it’s made of 40% lucuma fruit powder, 21% sprouted pea fibre, and only 14% coconut juice powder, the taste is undoubtedly coconutty.
As always, only use a non-sweetened, 100% pure coconut water, such as Beyond 100% Coconut Water. You can get Isowhey Pea+Brown Rice protein powder for $26.95 (525g) and Lucuma, Chia + Wildcrafted Coconut for $9.95 (70g) from Pharmacy Online. Shipping is $8.95 for up to 3kg’s and free for orders over $149. I buy Beyond Coconut Water from Aussie Health Products, one of my favourite shops, for $5.35 for 1l.
I quite like the taste of Isowhey’s Lucuma, Chia & Wildcrafted Coconut so stay tuned for a smoothie recipe!
Pea + Brown Rice Veggie Smoothie
A nutritious, simple, fresh smoothie for breakfast or snack
- 1 cup coconut water (pure, 100% coconut water)
- 1 serve Isowhey Pea+Brown Rice Protein Powder (1 serve = 2 heaped tbsp = 25g)
- 1 medium apple (Unpeeled, cored. I like sweet apples like Golden Delicious or Sundowner)
- 1 stick celery (chopped in medium pieces)
- 2 stems kale (chopped in medium pieces)
- 1 spring fresh mint (optional but nice)
- Chop celery and kale in medium pieces. Cut apple in quarters and core.
- Add coconut water, then protein powder, and all fruit and veggies to your blender.
- Blend for 30-40 seconds or until you’ve reached your desired consistency
- Serve on ice for a yummy breakfast or snack.
Smoothie suppliers for this blog post:
Disclosure: I receive a small commission for any products purchased after you click on the links. I only recommend products and companies that I love, and back 100%.