It was so freezing this morning! After a hot summer with some days topping 42 degrees, I am so not ready for winter yet. It’s time to bring the firewood up to the house, hang up the thermal curtains and light the fire at night (and maybe even in the morning, but don’t tell my wood-chopping hubby that!).
Bec, my 4 year old, and I always practice our yoga in the morning, followed by a smoothie. Usually we have it icy cold; frozen bananas or berries, ice cubes, cold milk…. Like a milkshake! This morning we needed something warm, soothing and heartening. This smoothie is a combination between porridge and hot apple spiced sauce.
I have a Froothie Optimum 9400 blender, which can heat up food due to friction created by the blades. This is a seriously cool feature in the kitchen, as it’s so easy to create hot soups, dips, and yummy warm smoothies. Froothie has a lot of great compilation of blender recipes from bloggers, cooks and chefs on their website; you’ll find recipes for smoothies, hot soups, sorbets, dips and other delicious food. They’re all vegan, vegetarian or raw too, a bonus for a veggie like myself 🙂
This warm smoothie is such a delight to drink, it warmed us from the inside out and felt sooooo good! The spices of cinnamon, allspice and ginger are delicious, and the oats and chia seeds will keep us going until lunch time.
Warm Spiced Apple Smoothie
Warming and soothing, perfect for cold mornings when you want something to warm your body from the inside out. Deliciously spiced with cinnamon, allspice and ginger, and goodness from oats, chia and apple.
- 2 small apples (Cored & cut in quarters. I didn’t peel mine. I had tiny apples – they weighed 145g together, to give you an idea.)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (pre-ground if possible)
- 1.5 cups rice milk (or any other milk)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional, it is very nice in!)
- 1/4 teasp ginger (dried, powdered spice)
- 1/2 teasp cinnamon (dried, powdered spice)
- 1/4 teasp allspice (dried, powdered spice)
- Add all your ingredients into your blender.
- Blend for 4 minutes on high. Four minutes made a beautiful warm smoothie. Give it an extra minute if you like it hotter.
I use a Froothie Optimum 9400 high powdered blender, which can heat food due to friction of the blades. An awesome feature for hot foods like hot smoothies & soups! If your blender is not a ‘heating’ blender, make sure you warm up your ingredients first; heating the milk gently with the spices and apple added to it.
|Servings per smoothie:||2|
|Energy||1240||kJ (296 Cal)||415||kJ (99 Cal)|