Coconut oil can be added to all your smoothies, sweet and savoury both. Why, you ask?
Why would you drink coconut oil smoothies?
The simple answer is that coconut oil is a superfood.
Some of its claimed benefits:
- Supports a healthy heart and strong bones
- Supports your gut and its balance
- High in lauric acid for immune support
- Smooth flavour and extra-creamy smoothies
- Supports stable blood sugar levels
- Supports healthy metabolisms
- Rich in Vitamin E, minerals and healthy fatty acids
- Rich in dietary fibre
Can I use any old coconut oil in my smoothies?
You’ll be feeding your body with this coconut oil, so you’ll need to look for the purest, highest quality, cold pressed coconut oil. You do not want a hydrogenated or GMO coconut oil. Food really is our medicine and our aim should be to buy the best, at a price we can afford.
Speaking of price….
Before sharing some delicious coconut oil smoothies, there’s a great offer I needed to share with you. Healthpost is currently offering a 3-for-2 deal on the 500ml jars of Biobalance Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. (edit January 2021 – this product is no longer available – check out Coconut Magic at Biome Eco Stores instead!)
The 500ml jars are currently $15.10, so you’ll get 1500ml for $30.10! This coconut oil is certified organic, virgin, cold pressed and packed in glass to maintain purity and exceptional quality. It’s ethically sourced, non-GMO, and not bleached, deodorised, hydrogenated or refined.
Coconut Oil Smoothies Recipes
Below are some recipes for coconut oil smoothies. Have a look at my other smoothie recipes too!
Strawberry Coconut Oil Smoothie Recipe
This yummy, healthy smoothie uses strawberries, coconut milk, banana, and coconut oil.
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk (or water)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/2 fresh or frozen banana
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
Click on the image to visit this recipe by Healthy Smoothie HQ; they have some great tips to stop the coconut oil from clumping in your smoothie.
Pineapple Kale Coconut Oil Green Smoothie Recipe
- 2 cups fresh kale
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups pineapple
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
This recipe was created by Simple Green Smoothies; click here for the full recipe with instructions, or to visit their other smoothie recipes!
Herbed Tropical Fruits & Oils Smoothie Recipe
This smoothie is a cracker! I love any smoothie with herbs in it, and this one uses mint and parsley beautifully.
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 medium rib celery, chopped
- ½ cup frozen organic mango
- 1 cup organic kale, ribs and stems removed)
- Coconut Milk or Coconut Water to fill line
This smoothie recipe is from All Nutribullet Recipes; click on the image for full instructions or to see their other recipes!